Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas visit to Arlington National Cemetery

Christmas was cool and beautiful -- the sun was shining, the sky was blue, and there was only a light breeze.

I visited Uncle Billy Rees's site first:


And Uncle Jack Rees:


They are right by the wall and the chapel, and a guard gate with some chilly, bored guards.


Dad and I will head back after Christmas, and leave some evergreens.

I got lost driving around the cemetery, and finally located Diane's father, Thomas Moore, in the Memorial section. It's on the side of a hill, which Chris told me, but I started looking on the downhill side first, and worked my way up.

There are mature trees, and nuts on the ground, and tribes of fat, happy squirrels.

Uncle Dick Rich is in a flat part of the cemetery (instead of mostly vertical). The site looks over the Pentagon, the Capitol, and the Washington Monument:

That's some pretty expensive real estate!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Cous,
Great pictures of the wreaths. Thanks so much for making the hike to Diane's Dads site. LOL
Thanks again.

Chris and Diane

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger bluebird said...

Thanks for the pics! Great to see the wreaths on our dear friends' Dads' stones!! How nice of you to get these pics for them!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Purple Princess said...

Very touching post. My son is in the Navy and my Grandfather was a prisoner of war in WWII. I would love to be able to visit Arlington National Cemetary just to see it and give thanks to those buried there.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger lostarts said...

I just found you blog, Betsy, and I noticed it said the latest post was Christmas Day.

I wondered how that could be, and then I noticed it said 2007!

Think you could manage another one before it's been a whole year since your last post?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home